Our thoughts affect our mood and behaviors. If our thoughts are negative then we will most likely feel depressed and sad. Likewise, if our thoughts are positive we will most likely feel uplifted and happy. So, it’s important to manage our thoughts and focus on the positive. Try reciting positive affirmations on a daily basis to help keep you motivated and positive. Recite a positive affirmation even if you do not believe it. Keep reciting them consistently so that the words can take root on the inside. It may take time but keep it positive.
During childhood people may have called us names such as you are stupid, you will never be nothing, you are ugly, no one will ever want you etc. These hurtful words may have taken root on the inside, therefore, we may actually believe them. This is why is it important to be intentional about reciting positive affirmations everyday. In time you will believe it, have a better self-esteem, and positive outlook in life. So, I challenge you to recite a positive affirmation every morning.
Here are some things you can say to yourself that may help you feel better:
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- I’m doing the best I can.
- I can’t control some things that happen.
- I am a person of worth.
- I deserve to be loved.
- I’m not perfect and that’s okay.
- I am an overcomer.
- I replace my anger with understanding and compassion.
- I fill this day with hope and face it with joy.
- I am drawing from my inner strength and inner light.
- I am too big a gift to this world to feel self-pity and sadness.
- I love and approve of myself.
- I will not let my past define who I am.
Arlinda D. Lindsay, LCSW, LCAC