Then the Lord told me: “I will give you my message in the form of a vision.
Write it clearly enough to be read at a glance. At the time I have decided,
my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future.
It may take a long time, but keep on waiting it will happen. ~Habakkuk 2: 2-3
Going into the New Year people often make New Year’s Resolutions, AKA, set up for failure. Folk boast about losing weight, getting out of debt, eating healthy, … new year-new me type of thing. However, we will soon feel disappointed when we fail to keep it going.
In order to lower your chance of failure, think more in terms of making a Lifestyle Change or New Year Goals. Write it down with an action plan or objectives that will lead you towards your goals. You are more likely to follow it if you write it down. It gives accountability.
In the Bible, God advised Habakkuk to write it down and make it plain. Trust and believe and it will come to pass. So, have faith in what God can do through you.
Listed below are some tips to writing your plan.
- Make sure goals are SMART, meaning they are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, & time-base. Often, our goals are too far fetch which sets us up for failure. For example, “I want to be a doctor in the new year” when you haven’t even began college.
- Don’t write a long list of goals, stick to a maximum of 3. Maybe select 3 goals of improving in the areas of your physical health, emotional health, and financial health or whatever you desire. Be sure to write objectives which state your plan of action towards achieving your goals. For example, for a goal of weight loss, write an objective such as, “I will exercise 3 days per week for 30 minutes at home or gym.”
- Conduct periodic reviews after 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, etc. Figure out what is working and what is not and make necessary adjustments.
- Out of sight-out of mind so be sure to look at your action plan on a daily basis. Find an accountability partner if necessary.
- If you begin to feel discourage recite positive affirmations or scriptures such as: “I believe in me”, “I can do all things through Christ”, “I am an overcomer” etc. We have to encourage ourselves!
- Commit your plan to God and pray over it. Seek God’s wisdom, guidance, strength, and direction. God can give you the grace to accomplish your goals.
Follow these steps and you will be sure to accomplish your goals and walk in Victory!